I’d never made risotto before this attempt. I think it came out really well. I used a mixture of ramps and spinach simply because I had ramps. I think arugula would be a good choice too.
Risotto with Sausage and Greens:
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken or beef stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb Italian style sausage (I used halal beef bulk sausage)
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 cups chopped spinach, arugula, ramps, or combination
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan (the real thing, not preshredded in a jar)
- 2 tbsp butter
Bring the tomatoes with their juices and the stock to a simmer together. Maintain at a steady simmer the whole time.
Heat the oil on high. Saute the sausage, garlic, onion, and spices. Crumble the sausage as it cooks. When sausage is cooked, add the rice and stir until well coated in oil. Add the wine and cook until absorbed. Add 2 cups of the tomato mixture, cook until absorbed. Keep adding liquid one cup at a time, letting each addition absorb. When the rice is al dente (just slightly firm in the center), it is done. The dish should have a creamy texture. Just after turning off the heat, stir in the greens, parmesan, and butter. Mix until butter is melted and greens wilted.