As much as I love traditional Chinese food, there is a certain charm to Chinese-American food. The line is blurry, and this dish is near that line, but I think it falls more on the Americanized end. Put it on rice and you have a quick and nutritious meal.
Orange Beef with Snow Peas (serves 4):
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 lb sirloin or flank steak, thinly sliced
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 5-10 dried chiles
- a splash of shoaxing wine or sherry
- 1/2 lb snow peas, ends trimmed as needed
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped (I used garlic scapes and Chinese chives this time)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- salt to taste
Saute the garlic in some oil until golden. Add the beef, zest, and chiles. When just seared all over, sprinkle some wine or sherry around the edge of the wok. Add the snow peas and green onion, then soy sauce and orange juice. Season with salt as needed.