Here is a meal that can be made entirely ahead of time.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 tbsp butter, cut up
- about 3 tbsp ice water, more as needed
- 6 oz chorizo
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 6 oz emmenthal or white cheddar, grated
- 1 small potato, boiled and diced
- salt to taste
Mix the dry crust ingredients. Pinch the butter into the mixture, or use a food processor. Mix in just enough water to form a coherent dough. Chill for at least a half hour, then roll out and fit to the pie plate. Chill again for a half hour before prebaking. Heat the oven to 425* F, prick the crust all over with a fork. Butter a piece of foil, place on crust butter side down. Add pie weights, beans, or rice on top of the foil. Bake for 12 minutes, remove foil, reduce temperature to 350* F, then bake until golden, about 10 more minutes.
Fry the chorizo until dry and crispy, about 10 minutes. Let cool. Mix the eggs, milk, cream, chorizo, cheese, potato, and salt to taste. Pour into the crust, and bake at 425* F for about 35 minutes, or until a knife or chopstick inserted in the center comes out clean. This quiche is good both hot and at room temperature.
Radish and Celery Salad (serves 4):
- 16 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 2 tbsp chopped mint leaves
Toss all ingredients together.