See here for general sushi information. This spicy tuna roll is pretty standard. The filling is a combination of the following, in whatever proportions please you:
- sashimi grade tuna, diced
- cucumber, diced or in strips
- mayonnaise, preferably Japanese
- seasoned fish roe (tobiko)
- green onion, chopped
This is a somewhat unusual roll of my own creation. It is the crab rangoon roll. It would probably be great with soy sauce for dipping, but we made a quick sweet/spicy/sour sauce to accompany it. Make a seaweed-on-outside sushi roll, then roll it in some tempura batter. Deep fry until uniformly golden.
Crab Rangoon Filling:
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 oz crab meat, flaked (canned lump meat is fine)
- 1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped onion or shallot (optional)
- 1 carrot, chopped
Mix all ingredients well and adjust seasoning to taste.
Spicy Plum Sauce:
- plum sauce (a.k.a. “duck” sauce)
- rice vinegar
- soy sauce
Mix in desired proportions, adjusting for desired levels of sweet, sour, salty, and spicy, respectively.