I modified this from the original recipe to remove the pork. I made a simple stock out of saved mushroom stems which I stockpile in the freezer, and some sliced ginger. Any stock would work, I think.
Sea-Flavor Noodles (serves 4):
- 1-2 oz dried tree ear mushrooms, soaked until soft
- 1 oz dried shrimp, soaked with the tree ears
- 1/2 lb fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 small tins bamboo shoots
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing wine or sherry
- 1 quart stock
- salt and black pepper
- 12 oz Chinese dried noodles
Chop the soaked mushrooms and shrimp. Saute the fresh mushrooms and bamboo in oil, seasoning with salt and pepper. Add wine and let boil off, then add stock, dried mushrooms, and dried shrimp. Simmer for 10 minutes, then add the noodles and cook until noodles are done.