This egg sambal recipe is great. The sambal was extremely spicy, and went well with the relatively mild green beans. The green beans are from “Cradle of Flavor”.
Green Beans in Coconut Milk (serves 4):
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 fresh hot red chiles (such as Thai), thinly sliced
- 1 inch galangal, smashed with something blunt
- 2 daun salam leaves
- 1 lb green beans, cut into 1 inch lengths
- 1 ripe tomato, coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tsp palm or brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
Heat the oil on medium-low, saute the garlic, shallot, chile, galangal, and daun salam. When shallots are golden (do not let burn), add the green beans and tomatoes. Cook for a couple minutes, or until beginning to soften. Add coconut milk, water, palm sugar, and salt. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce to medium-low heat and cover. Cook the beans at a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 15 minutes. Flavor improves if allowed to rest and cool for a bit before eating.