This is based on a recipe from “Fresh Mexico”, by Marcela Valladolid.
Couscous with Chile Guajillo and Orange (serves 4):
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 chile guajillo or other dried Mexican chile
- 3 inches cinnamon stick
- 1 cup couscous
- 3 oranges, peeled and segmented, 1 tbsp juice reserved
- 1/4 almonds or pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup currants or raisins
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine the broth, chile, and cinnamon over medium-high heat. When boiling, remove from heat and let infuse for 5-10 minutes, then strain.
Pour the hot broth over the couscous, let sit for 5 minutes. Toss the couscous with the orange, nuts, currants, onion, cilantro, olive oil, and reserved orange juice. Season as needed with salt and pepper. Serve warm or room temperature.