This is a riff on the classic Greek soup, avgolemono. Here, it is more of a soupy rice dish than a soup with rice.
Mussel Rice Avgolemono (serves 2-4):
- 4 cups fish or seafood stock
- 1 cup basmati or other long grain rice
- 2-3 lb mussels, clams, or a mix
- 1 tsp thyme
- salt to taste
- 3 eggs
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1 small bunch dill, chopped
- 1 small bunch chives, chopped
- 2-6 fresh hot chiles, chopped
Bring the stock to a boil, then reduce to medium-low heat. Cook the rice in the stock until almost tender. Add the shellfish and thyme, cook until the shells have all opened. Beat the eggs in a bowl, then beat in the lemon juice. Add a ladle of broth from the rice and mussels to this, mix well, then return to the pot. Add dill, chives, and chiles to the pot. Cook, stirring, until the sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes.